What Is Orthodontics?
Orthodontics is a dental specialty that serves to correct problems with the alignment of the teeth and jaw. Most people’s teeth do not come in perfectly straight. There are various reasons for this from genetics to childhood habits. But when the teeth and bite do not line up properly, it can cause a variety of dental and other health problems.
Orthodontic treatment may include a variety of methods to straighten the teeth and realign the bite, such as braces, oral appliances, and retainers. Length and type of treatment vary from patient to patient based on their individual needs.
Benefits of Orthodontics
Orthodontic care provides a variety of benefits:
- Improve current and long-term dental health: Correcting problems with the alignment of the teeth can prevent premature wear, tooth decay, gum disease, and tooth loss.
- Relieve and prevent jaw discomfort and headaches: A properly aligned bite will prevent unnecessary pressure on the jaw and the temporomandibular joint where your lower jaw attaches to your skull.
- Improve your smile: Orthodontics straightens your teeth to give you a more appealing smile.
- Chew more effectively: Orthodontics aligns your teeth and bite properly so that you can more effectively chew your food.
- Clearer speech: Orthodontic treatment can sometimes correct speech issues that result from misaligned teeth.
Two Phase Treatment
For most patients, we recommend two-phase orthodontics. The first phase typically begins around age 7 and involves monitoring and sometimes treatment of your orthodontic issues as they present themselves. The second phase typically takes place during the adolescent or teenage years, most often involving braces or other treatments.
The most common orthodontic treatment is metal or clear ceramic braces. They consist of metal or ceramic brackets that are attached to the front of the teeth and connected by a wire that shifts the teeth into proper alignment.
Invisalign® Clear Aligners
Invisalign® consists of clear plastic aligners that fit over the teeth to shift them into proper alignment. It is virtually invisible, making this a popular choice for adults or teens who want to straighten their teeth discreetly.
3M Clarity™ Aligners
We also offer 3M™ Clarity™ aligners that provide mild to moderate tooth movement resulting in the desired alignment, function, and smile. These aligners are similar to Invisalign® in that they provide a clear, subtle treatment option compared to braces.
The temporomandibular joint, known as the TMJ for short, can become inflamed, resulting in jaw discomfort and limited mobility. We provide TMD treatment to relieve the symptoms and prevent future flare-ups.
Following any orthodontic treatment, retainers help the teeth maintain their proper positions and are a necessary part of orthodontic care.
When orthodontic treatment alone is not effective, maxillofacial surgery may be required to change the shape or position of the jaw.
Why Choose TW Orthodontics?
We provide quality orthodontic care in a friendly, relaxed environment. TW Orthodontics makes all patients and their families feel welcome. When it comes to treatment, we carefully evaluate the teeth and bite alignment in order to design a customized plan to correct crowding, gaps, overbites, underbites, crossbites, open bites, and any other issues. The final result is a new and improved smile.